At a recent meeting the outline plans for GolfSixes 2019 were discussed. There will be 8 Teams – Gullane x 2, West Links, The Glen, Haddington, Loretto, Musselburgh and Royal Musselburgh. The League will be supporting the development of the GolfSixes League and their results will appear on this website. This is the latest info from Lesley Nicholson –
Intro and format
- The GolfSixes league is a developmental league introducing competition in a fun and positive environment
- Each team should have a squad of at least 8 players with 6 playing in each fixture (allowing for absences due to holidays, sickness, other commitments etc)
- The players involved should have either no handicap or a handicap of 36 and above at the start of the GolfSixes league
- The age range agreed at the meeting would be under 12 where possible
- Course set up is the responsibility of the host club, ideally looking for a course where each hole is no more than 150 yards , shotgun start best option where possible
- More information on format and guidance around GolfSixes can be found in toolkit which I sent through to you via We Transfer so please make sure you download and read!
Cost and sustainability of league
- Each player pack for the GolfSixes costs £5 ( including polo shirt, water bottles, tees, markers etc) this can be paid by the parents or absorbed by the club
- Each junior playing in a fixture will be charged £3, this will help to fund prizes for nearest the holes, catering etc. Team Manager’s to collect the £18 from their team and give to the host club Team Manager towards expenses for that day, total will be £72 to cover costs and ensure the GolfSixes league becomes sustainable
Expectation of Team Manager
- Complete a Club Agreement form to be involved in GolfSixes League (to be supplied by Lesley once finalised by the Golf Foundation)
- Ensure all registration forms including photo/video consent for players are completed before the first fixture
- Gather polo shirt sizes of squad players and order online mid-March (link to be sent through by Lesley once online link created by the Golf Foundation)
- Arrange your 6 players for each fixture working towards playing 2 girls where possible
- Attend all events or nominate point of contact for each event to take responsibility for club team
- Distribute player packs and collect payments
- Award Skills for Life medal after each fixture to a player in the team demonstrating good sportsmanship, empathy, encouragement etc rather than based solely on performance
- Host Team Manager to collect scorecards at the end of their fixture then present scores and team positions for the fixture as well as present additional prizes for nearest the hole, putting comp etc
- Host Team Manager to email Dave Warren to update GolfSixes League table on the ELJL website
- Host club to ensure their CPO is in attendance or appoint someone on the day to manage any concerns raised regarding child protection, any issues to be dealt with by club CPO
- Complete the Golf Foundation monitoring form at the end of the league fixtures
Details of leagues/fixtures
- It was decided at the meeting that all fixtures would take place on a Sunday afternoon so there is a clear pathway for players to then move onto playing in ELJGL fixtures
- Due to a late withdrawal Gullane GC have agreed to submit 2 teams into the GolfSixes league so we have 8 teams still able to play in 2 leagues of 4
- It was agreed at the meeting that the league would be split geographically across the county
- East League will be Gullane x 2, West Links Juniors and the Glen
- West league will be Musselburgh, Royal Musselburgh, Loretto and Haddington
- Each league will play a minimum of 4 fixtures with each club hosting at least once, more can be played should you wish!
- Fixtures to start after the Easter holidays
- The winner of each league will come together to play a final. Rick to look to see if we are able to access The Renaissance for the final
- The winner of each league (West and East) will also be invited to a Scottish grand final sometime in September, date and venue still to be confirmed
Can I now please urge you to make contact with the other Team Managers within your league to set your fixture dates, either through email or might be best just organising a meeting between your league to get everything confirmed. Once you have your dates can you please let me know when they are going to take place so we can look at a date for the final hopefully at The Renaissance.
The names of the Team Managers were provided by Lesley.
Musselburgh – Norman Huguet
Royal Musselburgh – Calum Smith
Loretto – Rick ValentineHaddington – Scott Thomson
Gullane – Myles Cunningham
West Links Juniors – Ivor Mcardle Ivor Mcardle
Glen Juniors – Lynne Malcolm
If I have any updates regarding the forms/resources I will let you know. Also any questions please do not hesitate to ask!
Hopefully I’ve covered everything but if not let me know.
Lesley Nicholson, Regional Club Development Officer, South East – East Lothian, Midlothian, Scottish Borders, East Edinburgh