THE ELJGL SEASON IS BACK! There will now be no Match Days played this year, so the League and Order of Merit trophies will not be awarded in 2020. The Scottish Junior Team Championship (SJTC) due at Crail Craighead on the 27th September has also been cancelled. The Secretary has informed all Convenors and Players of these developments by email.
HOWEVER, the Secretary has now agreed dates with host Clubs for our 2020 ELJGL Championships (see latest posts on this site) and Team Strokeplay events. And the ELJGL County Cup Foursomes will still be played this year. The dates for all these events are now on the Calendar on this website on the “dropdown” on the menu bar.
The Team Strokeplay will now be played at Longniddry on Monday the 21st September. Each Member Club can enter a Team of 4 for this. Junior Convenors will select their Teams for this and inform the League Secretary of the names of Players by Friday the 18th September.
At the moment Craigielaw are keeping their Match Day date of Tuesday the 20th October open for any cancellation of our earlier events, or for rounds of the County Cup, if required. There will also be a special event at Royal Musselburgh on Thursday the 22nd October.
The League is very grateful to the Host Clubs who have been very accommodating with these new arrangements. All the host Clubs, and the League, will have more than adequate Covid 19 provisions in place for the safety of Players, Volunteers and Parents/Guardians. To that end, we will follow any guidelines put in place by our host Clubs, and also implement some other safeguards at all of our Match Days until the Government introduces phase 4 of their “Route map.”
The only proviso to make you aware of is this current requirement from Scottish Golf – Travel to and from competition must not mix households i.e. no car sharing.
The League’s requirements (updated on 15/8/20) include:-
- Organisers and helpers will be asked to wear masks and surgical gloves, supplied by the League. They will also have access to bio-wipes and hand sanitisers.
- We will have our own gazebo tent in place for registration, scoring and prize giving so that the use of Clubhouses will be minimised. We now also have two hand-held radios to improve communications.
- All Players, Parents and Convenors attending each event will have to complete and sign a “track and trace” form.
- All Players, Parents and Convenors coming on to the host Clubs property at each event must undergo a non-invasive temperature check. Anyone with a higher than normal temperature will be barred from playing or spectating.
- Access to host Clubhouses will be possible but only in accordance with their current Covid 19 policies, including any limits on numbers of people inside each Club at any one time.
- Parents and Convenors, if watching play, must adhere to the rule on observing from a discreet distance.
- Players must be aware that there may be no toilet facilities on the host courses.
- Where at all possible in the draw, Girls will be partnered by other Girls.
- There will be catering facilities at our host Clubs, and Players may be asked to pre-order with the Club caterers. And “social distancing” rules must be observed.
- Scoring will be through the “Golf Genius” app on smartphones. More information on that will be forthcoming soon. If scorecards have to be used for scoring, only a verbal agreement of accuracy will be required. The cards will be placed in a box for later checking by Organisers.
- The remainder of the R&A and SGL guidance on play will be observed – no touching of flagsticks etc. There will be “local rules” for example – placing in bunkers within 6 inches not nearer the hole, but scores WILL still be counting scores for handicaps.
- If host Clubs policies allow there will be an indoor prize-giving on the day of competition, but these may have to take place outdoors.
Sadly, we will NOT be able to organise a trip to Pinehurst in February 2021, but hope to do so again in Feb 2022. But we now have special treats planned to offer to Players who compete and do well in our remaining events, and these treats will be free or part subsidised by the League. These include:-
8 Players to go to Royal Dornoch on 3rd and 4th October for the Donald Ross Junior Open. (Note – the Lothians Boys Championship is now at Kingsknowe on the 4th October.)
6 Players to receive invites to play at Muirfield.
3 Players to receive invites to play the Old (or New) course at St Andrews, depending on the ballot.
3 Girls to receive invites to play with Catriona Matthew at North Berwick. (By arrangement with ELLCGA.)
(Some of these 20 spots will at first be offered to the leading Players in our Championships, and then the remainder may be offered to the winning Teams in the Team Strokeplay and County Cup.)
3 Players to receive invites to play with a host at North Berwick and 3 more at Gullane No. 1.
3 Players to receive an invite to play a superb mystery venue in the area.